A collection of my writing about music, and other articles.
Programme notes and articles relating to my own music
These articles were written for various publications in the run-up to the world premiere production of my opera Emily in July 2013.
- “How I raised the funds to put on my new opera” for Norman Lebrecht / Slipped Disc
- “Composing Emily” for Sound & Music
- “In the composer’s voice: creating Emily” for SinfiniMusic
- “My Calder Valley” for Todmorden News
The next article was written in conjunction with the premiere of my piece Common Wealth, which was commissioned by the London Borough of Barnet to celebrate the Queen’s Jubilee year in 2012, for Milestones, the magazine of All Saints’ Friern Barnet, where I was working as an organist at the time.
Here is an interview that I gave for a pre-performance presentation at the Opéra de Marseille in March 2010 for Le Gâteau d’Anniversaire, with CNIPAL study director Ivan Domzaksli.
The following articles were contributions to the programme for the world premiere of The Corley Conspiracy, which took place at London’s Southbank Centre on 19th-21st September 2007 as part of the London Design Festival.
Papers and articles about other people’s music
- An analysis of Sir Harrison Birtwistle's Précis [PDF]
- Sexual Politics and Autobiography in Berg's Wozzeck [PDF]
- When did Stravinsky become a "neo-classical" composer? [PDF]
Articles on other musical subjects
- Top 10 tips for composers on how to earn a living (for Sound & Music)
- A tribute to my late composition teacher, Steve Martland (for Norman Lebrecht / Slipped Disc)
PDF versions of programmes for various events that I've helped to organise, mostly designed by me.
- Le Gâteau d’Anniversaire / La Voix Humaine — Radius at The Purcell Room
- Radius at The Purcell Room, 21st October 2009
- Radius at Wigmore Hall, 18th June 2009
- Radius at The Purcell Room on 10th October, 2008
- Radius at The Purcell Room on 25th May, 2008
- Radius at Wigmore Hall, 8th January 2008
- The Corley Conspiracy at the London Design Festival 2007
- Radius debut concert at Wigmore Hall
Economics of New Music
Economics of New Music was my DPhil thesis at Oxford University. These are all PDF files.
- File 1 of 7: Economics of New Music, Abstract, Table of Contents, and Introduction
- File 2 of 7: Economics of New Music, Chapter I: Crisis!
- File 3 of 7: Economics of New Music, Chapter II: ... What Crisis?
- File 4 of 7: Economics of New Music, Chapter III: The Age of Mass Connection
- File 5 of 7: Economics of New Music, Chapter IV: The Composer as Economic Agent
- File 6 of 7: Economics of New Music, Chapter V: Conclusion
- File 7 of 7: Economics of New Music, Bibliography